[pvrusb2] No sysfs interface or working /dev/video devices

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue Dec 6 22:45:21 CST 2005

I think you may have several problems here...  See below.

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005, Adam Schaefer wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> It has been a few months---and a different PC / distro-- since I last used
> the pvrusb2 utilities succesfully. My current Ubuntu Breezy install is
> running a rather generic custom kernel of 2.6.14.3 (although this problem
> was apparent in Breezy's default 2.6.13-9) with the  latest (1126) build of
> pvrusb2. Even using old builds, I cannot get the device to function and the
> following problems occur:
>
> Using the kernel's tveeprom module generates little output and the following
> problems:
>            Can't cat /dev/video, generates "No such Device"
>            Driver generates a /sys/class/pvrusb2 directory that is empty
>            Driver generates a /sys/module/pvrusb2 directory that is not
> empty
>            Very little output in kernel log (included below)
>            Currently my kernel log indicates that the module loaded
> succesfully, but it doesn't spit out the same information the driver from
> early July did (IE that it has a type 58 tuner, etc)
>
> Dec  6 22:52:13 localhost kernel: [46942.182696] Linux video capture
> interface: v1.00
> Dec  6 22:52:14 localhost kernel: [46942.285157] pvrusb2 pvr_init
> Dec  6 22:52:14 localhost kernel: [46942.424801] usbcore: registered new
> driver pvrusb2
> Dec  6 22:52:14 localhost kernel: [46942.424817]
> /home/clorox/Desktop/pvrusb2-mci-20051126/driver/pvrusb2-main.c: Hauppauge
> WinTV-PVR-USB2 MPEG2 Encoder/Tuner : 20051126 (from www.isely.net)
> Dec  6 22:52:14 localhost kernel: [46942.424831]
> /home/clorox/Desktop/pvrusb2-mci-20051126/driver/pvrusb2-main.c: Debug mask
> is 4214975 (0x4050bf)

Unplug the device and plug it back in.  Do you get system messages
appearing about a new device in the system?  You should.  Shortly after
that point you should be seeing messages from the various support modules
as they attach to the I2C bus newly exported by the driver (resulting from
the device being plugged in).  If this isn't happening, see if at least
tuner.ko is loaded (check via lsmod).  You should also find msp3400 and
saa7115 - these all need to be present before the driver is going to do
much of anything.

If plugging in the device doesn't elicit anything in the system log, then
something may be awry with hotplug - because hotplug is going to generate
at least one message indicate the presence of the new device.

I think right now we need to first establish that hotplug is instantiating
the pvrusb2 driver when you plug in the device.  No evidence here so far
suggests that as actually happening.

> When I use the included ivtv tveeprom module, I receive the following from
> my kernel log (and the module fails to load)
>
> [47763.613541] Linux video capture interface: v1.00
> [47763.699722] pvrusb2: disagrees about version of symbol
> tveeprom_hauppauge_analog
> [47763.699742] pvrusb2: Unknown symbol tveeprom_hauppauge_analog
>
> Any ideas?

Sounds like you switched kernel versions and didn't recompile the ivtv
side of the driver snapshot.  *Every* version conflict I have seen
invariably results from loading a module into the kernel that wasn't
compiled for the kernel in which you are trying to load it.