[pvrusb2] LG tuner

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Thu Dec 8 09:07:05 CST 2005

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005, Armin Herbert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> my problem: I can't switch channels/tune at all.
>
> My setup: SuSE 9.3 kernel 2.6.11.4-21.9-default, package
> pvrusb2-mci-20051206 used. I did not extract the firmware from the most
> recent windows driver package (which would be release 2.5.22303,
> including driver version 2.2.73.22295, fwextract.pl fails on this), but
> from pvrusb2_23_21351.exe which has not been shipped along with my
> device.

A fatal bug was just discovered in fwextract.pl from the current snapshot.
The previous snapshot's fwextract.pl is OK but it is missing a new
firmware definition - which might be for your driver version.

> My device seems pretty new, the tuner used in the device could be another
> one than in older versions, see the attached syslog-init.txt - it mainly
> says "tveeprom: tuner = LG S001D MK3 (idx = 60, type = 4)"

This is the key problem.  "type = 4" means "absent", in other words that
it failed to assign *any* tuner implementation.  Until that is fixed
nothing is going to work.

Which tveeprom did you use?  The next step here is to figure out why the
mapping isn't there.

> Does it make sense to try to extract the firmware from the device, or do
> you have any other idea on how to get this working?

I think you're probably OK with the firmware; we need to solve the problem
with mapping the tuner definition.