[pvrusb2] Compile issue

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Thu Dec 8 09:31:31 CST 2005

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005, cardboil wrote:

> Thanks Mike.  Yes, I see them now.  I copied them over to lib/modules...,
> but now I have a different problem.
>
> # modprobe pvrusb2
> FATAL: Error inserting pvrusb2 (/lib/modules/2.6.14-
> 1.1644_FC4/kernel/drivers/pvrusb2/pvrusb2.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or
> unknown parameter (see dmesg)
>
> When do dmesg|grep -i pvrusb2, this is what I get:
> pvrusb2: disagrees about version of symbol tveeprom_hauppauge_analog
> pvrusb2: Unknown symbol tveeprom_hauppauge_analog
>
> I had already installed ivtv already using yum install (ivtv-firmware,
> ivtv-kmdl, ivtv-kernheaders, ivtv).  Should I go back and build the ivtv in
> your directory (I thought the website said not to do so, if I had already
> installed ivtv).
>
> Appreciate your help!

The symbol you're having a problem with is resolved by tveeprom.ko.  That
module needs to be loaded as well.  That module is provided both by the
V4L core in the kernel tree and by ivtv.  It's possible that your kernel
doesn't have tveeprom configured, but I would have expected ivtv to have
it available.  So what you need to do is make sure tveeprom is loaded.  If
it isn't, find out why.  I'm not familiar with a yum-based install of ivtv
so I wouldn't know what to diagnose there.  But in any case the issue here
is with tveeprom.ko.

The reason why I said you don't need the ivtv part of the pvrusb2 driver
in this case is because those exact same modules (perhaps a different
version however) are also supplied by ivtv.  If you have ivtv installed
and working, then those modules should already be present, in which case
the pvrusb2 driver can just use them directly thus no need to compile them
from pvrusb2.