[pvrusb2] Fuzzy Video using Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB2

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 12 03:45:28 CST 2005

cardboil, what you describe seems to be related to a
bitrate that is too low. What is the bitrate that you
are using?

Note that this is MPEG2 so I would recommend to use at
least 6 Mbps (which is the default).

I've seen people who assumed they could use the same
bitrates as for MPEG4 (e.g. 1 Mbps). MPEG2 @ 1 Mbps is
simply lousy.

Other causes for your problem can be:
the bitrate is too high and you are connecting through
a usb 1.1 hub (or your 1.1 hub also contains other
devices).

And the latest firmware seems to have a bug when you
set the avg bitrate to a larger value than the max
bitrate you also get very lousy pictures.

Frans.

PS: I assumed that with fuzzy you mean that you are
seeing some (blocking) artefacts and not an unsharp
picture. If the latter happens I would suspect the
hardware.

It might also help if you can provide a list of all
your settings (or test with the default ones) and make
a small test clip available on a web or ftp site.