[pvrusb2] Re: PVR USB2 Test message

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Dec 18 13:31:58 CST 2005

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005, Helmut Toplitzer wrote:

> Hi!
>
> yes! It worked.  I got 3 mails from you.
> maybe my first mail address (spam at toplitzer dot net) made
> some problems.
>
> So, I'm currently testing with a seperate power supply
> with a bit higher voltage (6,5V) and it's not working.
> Outage comes after few minutes/secondes. It got even
> worst after compiling a kernel with debuging infos (you already got
> the logs log3).
> (BTW: image quality is better with the new supply. Looks
> like the original power supply is working on its
> upper limit.)

I'd be VERY careful about changing the voltage to the device.  You don't
know what its tolerance is going to be.  Also, just raising the supply
voltage is not going to help you if your incoming power is dirty.  It is
still going to spike / droop / etc on you - just at a higher voltage now.

> Next thing I will test is to get it running on a different
> machine. Stay tuned for reports :-)

That will also be a useful experiment.

> One strange thing is that power consumtion is about 1,1 A/ 6,5V
> in standby, which is quite high. Will test if this also happens
> on windows...

I can't speak to how this thing sucks down power.  There isn't anything
going on in the driver to try to manage the power consumption of the
device.

> Maybe I'll join IRC later on. Thanks for your help!

I'm on IRC right now.  To get my attention be sure to put my handle
"mcisely" in the message - gaim will see that and generate a much more
annoying sound effect :-)