[pvrusb2] Fuzzy Video using Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB2

cardboil cardboil at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 10:08:42 CST 2005

Thanks Roger.  Actually, it turns out that my problem with video fuzziness
(esp. with fast moving objects) was due to issues with my video card driver
settings, not pvrusb2.  After some research, I found the right option to use
in my xorg.conf (to enable xvideo support for TV playback) and that took
care of the problem.

Now, things are OK, except that my signal reception from the tuner is poor.
Let me explain.

My cable connection carries both analog cable signals as well as encrypted
signals for use with digital STBs.  The channel reception is good
(non-grainy) both with the analog cable coax connected directly to the TV or
digital through the STB.  However, when I run the coax thru the WinTV PVR
USB2 tuner, the reception is not very good.  I've checked that my
frequencies are correct (did auto-tuning using Hauppage's Win TV application
on a Windows machine to obtain the frequencies).  But, for some inexplicable
reason, the picture captured by the tuner is rather grainy.  Sometimes, the
signal is so bad that there is a hissing in the audio and sometimes even no
audio at all on certain channels.  Note, when I use the tuner with a
Hauppage's windows driver and viewer application, the reception/picture
quality is very good.  So, it leads me to believe that may be my settings
for the pvrusb2 driver are not right.

Any ideas or pointers would be greatly appreciated.