[pvrusb2] Re: xawtv recording?

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Wed Nov 9 01:47:54 CST 2005

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005, Simon Lachinger wrote:

> [...]

2GB is the single file size limit you will encounter for ANY file system
when using 32 bit file access semantics.  If, for example, your app
depends on using lseek(), that function uses a 32 bit pointer which limits
you to 2GB (well, 4GB, but file offsets have traditionally been signed
ints, which gives you only 31 bits or 2GB of addressing range).  There is
another call (llseek()?  not sure..) which uses a 64 bit pointer and thus
avoids the limit.  So it may not matter at all what the underlying file
system is, if the app is using system calls which can't get past 32 bits
of addressing.  I wouldn't be surprised if the apparent conflicting
answers here might be due to xawtv being configured differently in each
case.  Check your config step results - there may be something there which
enables the use of 64 bit addressed file I/O.  Note: This is wild
speculation; I have no special experience about xawtv which would tell me
that this is the root cause, and under NO circumstance am I volunteering
here to start trying to support big sticky ball of mud otherwise known as
xawtv :-)