[pvrusb2] New driver snapshot: pvrusb2-mci-20051109

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Thu Nov 10 21:30:58 CST 2005

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Roger J. Allen wrote:

> That msp3400.h file doesn't seem to be part of the kernel-devel rpm package
> for Fedora Core 4.  I currently have these installed:
>
> kernel-2.6.13-1.1532_FC4
> kernel-devel-2.6.13-1.1532_FC4
>
> There are some headers like:
>
> /usr/src/kernels/2.6.13-1.1532_FC4-i686/include/media/audiochip.h
> /usr/src/kernels/2.6.13-1.1532_FC4-i686/include/media/tuner.h
> /usr/src/kernels/2.6.13-1.1532_FC4-i686/include/media/tveeprom.h
>
> but no msp3400.h.
>
> It was kind of surprising because there is a:
>
> /lib/modules/2.6.13-1.1532_FC4/kernel/drivers/media/video/msp3400.ko
>
> I don't know if I have something misconfigured, or if this is
> something specific to Fedora.

I think I understand now what is going on here.

This header, msp3400.h, is not in the include subtree of the kernel
sources.  It's hiding in a *source* subtree, specifically in
"$(kernel_src_root)/drivers/media/video".  When I do a build here, I'm
using a full kernel source tree to work from.  It has all sources *and*
headers from the full tree.  In theory you really should not need all that
but I've been assuming that this is the normal case.  Really, to package
up that much just to build a driver is kind of wasteful, so probably the
Fedora kernel developer tree has lots of stuff stripped out.  And since
msp3400.h is not in the official "include" subtree it got axed.

This is probably something multiple people are going to hit, so I'm going
to do something about this and release another snapshot.

>>> The FC4 kernel has tveeprom.ko, tuner.ko, and msp3400.ko, so I only
>>> installed saa7115.ko and pvrusb2.ko before running "depmod -a".
>>>
>>> My setup uses the composite video source, so I havn't tested the tuner.
>>>
>>> The remote control works with the atrpms lirc packages.
>>
>> That all sounds great.
>>
>>  -Mike
>
> Mythtv just recorded a half an hour of news thru the pvrusb2, so it's
> getting the job done.
>
> Thanks for your hard work.

Someday I'm actually going to start using this device with MythTV.
That's the reason why I started working on this.  Ironically enough I have
only a single device and I can't put it in my MythTV system because the
device constantly needed elsewhere for more driver development / debugging
/ support.