[pvrusb2] New driver snapshot: pvrusb2-mci-20051126

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Nov 27 17:26:18 CST 2005

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005, xavier.gnata at free.fr wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As usual, I going to test this snapshot asap.
> Could you tell us a little bit more about "additional functionalities".
> For sure, I could wait your next email but "other video formats" sounds so
> interresting...
>
> xavier

There are a couple of controls (like "interlace") which are not really
correct.  I need to straighten that out.

New potential goodies include better control of video filtering (which I'm
hoping will significantly help with snowy channels) along with support of
different video formats.

No promises yet, but from what I've read it may be possible to get this
device to emit uncompressed video data, which _in theory_ could allow this
driver to work with devices that don't deal with mpeg2 data very well.
But that will take a lot of work and there are many pitfalls along the way
(like perhaps having to get isochronous streaming to work or that the
encoder chip's logic for this might have a bug) which might prevent it
from working...  The upside however is tremendous.

I have an understanding for how to make VBI work now (thanks to Hans
Verkuil and his efforts in ivtv).  I think I see a way to get the radio
side working as well.

BTW, as far as I know, VBI and uncompressed video are not supported at all
by the Windows driver.  :-)

Other driver work still to be done includes (1) segregating out the
debugging stuff so that it can be selectively compiled / activated, and
(2) more work to separate out parts which don't belong in v4l.