[pvrusb2] Re: Possible tuner problem with WinTV PVR USB2

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue Nov 29 00:02:14 CST 2005

Ralph:

You have *excellent* timing.  I just hit this precise problem myself just
24 hours ago!  The problem is that your device has a new type of tuner in
it and the support modules don't know how to handle it.  I just got a
second PVR USB2 device here and tried it for the first time last night -
and hit exactly the same problem.

So while there's nothing I can do to solve this for you right now, stayed
tuned (pun intended) because I'm already working this issue.  It will
probably be a few more days before I have a viable solution (other issues
outside of this driver are taking my time at the moment), but I'll let you
know.

For others on the list here - the problem Ralph has encountered here is
that his device has a "TCL MFNM05-4" tuner inside of it.  This is the
"metal can" part of the device, and is what downconverts the RF into a
signal that can be used by other circuits in the box.  This type of tuner
is apparently very new - as far as I can tell we're blazing a trail here.
But I have some good traction on this and thanks to some info I've already
gotten from others I think it won't be long before this is working.

   -Mike