[pvrusb2] firmware failed to load

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue Oct 4 12:15:58 CDT 2005

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005, Jonas Weismueller wrote:

> Hi,
> I did all the documented steps to install the driver, but i couldn't
> get it running. dmes still says:
> usbcore: registered new driver pvrusb2
> /usr/src/pvrusb2-mci-20050921/driver/pvrusb2-main.c: Hauppauge
> WinTV-PVR-USB2 MPEG2 Encoder/Tuner : 0.8-mci (21-Sep-2005)
> /usr/src/pvrusb2-mci-20050921/driver/pvrusb2-main.c: Debug mask is
> 4214975 (0x4050bf)
> pvrusb2 pvr2_hdw_setup(hdw=cf475000) begin
> pvrusb2 pvr2_upload_firmware1

> pvrusb2 request_firmware failed for 'pvrusb2.f1'

This is the first spot where things went awry.  This is a call into the
kernel to read that firmware image from the file system.  For this to
work, you must have hotplug installed and working, and you must have
placed the files into a location where your hotplug config is going to
expect to find them.  At this point, you haven't yet tried to upload
anything to the device, so the device doesn't yet factor into the problem.

> pvrusb2 Failure uploading firmware1
> pvrusb2 pvr2_hdw_setup(hdw=cf475000) done, ok=1 init_ok=0

> pvrusb2 Device firmware (re)load executed; it should now reset and
> reconnect.

This message always prints.  Probably should be cleaned up a bit.

> Looks like the firmware failed to load. I copied already both images
> pvrusb2.f1 and pvrusb2.f2 to the firmware directory in
> /usr/share/firmware/
>
> I am using a mandriva patched kernel:
> [root at localhost driver]# uname -r
> 2.6.12-12mdk-i686-up-4GB

The location of the firmware directory is determined in userland by the
hotplug utility, not in kernel space by the kernel.  Check that you
actually have hotplug set up and that you've placed the firmware files in
the proper spot.  I can't unfortunately tell you what the right spot is
because it tends to be something that is different among different
distributions.  Check the pvrusb2 utilities web page
(http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2-utils.html) for more info on this (but I
suspect you might have already looked there).  If there's someone else
here using this distribution (mandriva?), maybe that person can jump in
and help.