[pvrusb2] No TV ;(

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue Oct 4 14:27:10 CDT 2005

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005, Jonas Weismueller wrote:

> Mike Isely wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 4 Oct 2005, Jonas Weismueller wrote:
> >

> >>Hi,
> >>firmware is loading successfully. KDETV scanned for channels and found
> >>about 10, but I can't see any screen. xawtv didn't display anything, too.
> >>Which programm would you recommend. What should I check?
> >>I have to use Pal B/G here ;)
> >>

> >Last time I looked kdetv does not support mpeg2 decoding, which you need
> >here because the PVR USB2 device uses a hardware mpeg2 decoder.  There's
> >no raw video frames here.  So this is never going to work.
> >
> >Try a known quantity first.  Try mplayer first.  Look at my main web page
> >for important information on using mplayer with this driver.  You can do
> >this to verify the driver is working correctly then I'd go on to try other
> >things.
> >
> >  -Mike
> >

> Mplayer is working, but how to set channels?

That issue is also described on the web page.  You can very easily control
the device (from the shell) concurrently with mplayer by using the sysfs
interface.

> I will try MythTv.

That is known to work, but MythTV can be a real bear to set up properly -
not because of this driver, it's just a bear to set up no matter what.
That's why I tell people to try mplayer first.  When you set up MythTV,
tell it that it's talking to a PVR-250, disable VBI and it should work.
This is also mentioned on the web page.

> Is there an IRC channel or something for pvrusb?

There is an IRC channel; a Red Hat developer on this list has been
encouraging people to camp out there, but I've been about the only person
there (and honestly I'm not even there right now since I'm at work right
now).