[pvrusb2] driver status update

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sat Oct 8 22:39:22 CDT 2005

FYI, I haven't released a new snapshot of the driver lately because there
really hasn't been a pressing need yet (i.e. no serious bugs).  I have
however been collecting a growing list of little things to tweak mainly in
the documentation.  Those tweaks are pretty much done now, and the web
site has been updated with the results.

The biggest thing (regarding the above) is that today I took the time to
beat on various driver controls which can be reached from sysfs.  This is
something I've been meaning to do for a long time, because (especially for
the encoder) there's a lot of functionality that the driver makes
available which simply hasn't been tested very well.  The results of all
that experimentation have been written into a text file named
"controls.txt".  This file lives in the doc/ directory of the source tree,
but I've put it up on the web page and linked it from there (go to
http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2.html and search for "controls.txt" to find
the link).  Basically I found a lot more stuff working than I expected,
and I also discovered a bunch of trivial things that should have worked
but don't - and the blame in those cases turns out to be outside the
driver.  I've updated the FAQ to point these out and hopefully avoid the
inevitable confusion that will otherwise likely happen when somebody trips
over this.

The only unreleased driver fix at this point is a tiny thing for sysfs -
it wasn't parsing negative numbers properly which right now only really
affects the hue control and only of course when operated through sysfs.
That isn't really enough of a problem to release another snapshot yet.

I do have on my plate a task to get this driver buildable and working on
2.6.14whatever.  That is a more involved effort.  Once I have that done
I'll release a new snapshot.  If a serious bug surfaces before then, well
of course there will be a snapshot release at that point.

I also still have on my plate the task of making the Subversion repository
available through the web.  It's not a big task, just a careful one since
I don't want to accidentally breach my server's security.  I was hoping to
get to that this weekend, but I don't think it's going to happen yet, for
lack of time :-(