[pvrusb2] driver status; incompatible change coming...

Ted Garrett pvrusb2 at tedgarrett.com
Mon Oct 17 08:24:44 CDT 2005

On Sunday 16 October 2005 15:57, Mike Isely wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Oct 2005, xavier.gnata at free.fr wrote:
> > Quoting Mike Isely <isely at isely.net>:
> >> The horrible, disgusting, sick trick with the tveeprom structure worked
> >> (see preceding thread).
> >>
> >> I've verified that the pvrusb2 driver works with kernel versions 2.6.12,
> >> 2.6.13, and even 2.6.14, and it is using updated modules from ivtv
> >> 0.4.0. I've tried various combinations of using ivtv-provided modules
> >> (e.g. tuner.ko, tveeprom.ko, etc) versus using v4l-provided modules from
> >> the kernel sources and all combinations I have tried work correctly.
> >> Yay!
> >>
> >> I need to write up a description of this tveeprom mess somewhere.  Once
> >> that is done I'll release a new driver snapshot.
> >
> > Ok great job once again :)
> > Did you ask V4L people about this API problem ?
> > Xavier.
>
> I know they are trying to bring ivtv and V4L together; I suspect this sort
> of problem is already known.  I'm writing up an HTML page about this now.
> If it makes enough sense I'll probably point a few people at it.
>
>    -Mike

I am currently running SuSE Professional Linux 9.3 (kernel revision 2.6.11)
with a pvr-150 and a pvr-usb2 connected simultaneously.  During the
installation of ivtv, I had to delete the tveeprom.ko along with several
other v4l modules.  Once I had ivtv working I then installed
pvrusb2-mci-20050921 and was able to get MythTV working with both devices.

So far the only problem I'm having is that I can't get lircd to use the built
in ir blaster on the pvr-150.  Once I overcome that problem, I'll be
completely happy.

I applaud your efforts and look forward to the day when all of the hauppauge
pvr devices will work harmoniously together.  I might even undertake building
all the necessary packages to upgrade the kernel and associated modules once
it's all done.