[pvrusb2] Re: New driver snapshot: pvrusb2-mci-20051016

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Fri Oct 21 18:47:44 CDT 2005

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:

> [Hm. yahoo webmail doesn't quote all on reply, cut and
> paste manually, that'll teach me to read the digest]
>
> Mike wrote:
>
> That's interesting.  So there had to have been a
> problem before,
> perhaps
> with the tveeprom structures not quite being in sync
> earlier.  That's
> entirely possible.  Glad it's fixed now :-)  It would
> be mildly
> interesting to know which kernel version and which
> tveeprom.ko you were
> using when you saw this problem with the previous
> driver (which I
> presume
> to be the 20050921 snapshot).
>
> ===
>
> I've had the problem both with 2.6.12 and 2.6.14rc2
> kernels. The tveeprom I was using was the one included
> in the snapshot.

OK, so the possible explanation is this:  The pvrusb2 driver gets its
definition of the tveeprom structure from the Linux kernel headers, but
tveeprom.c in the driver (which is ripped exactly from ivtv) defines its
own version of that same structure internally.  The problem I encountered
in 2.6.14rc4 was that the two structures had radically diverged.  It's
certainly possible that there was already some divergence in the
configuration you were running.  Thus the serial number field read back
probably wasn't the same serial number field that had been written.

The changes in the current 20051016 snapshot "solves" all of that.

I should go back and look at the versions of the structures in what you
used, but I'm pretty sure now of what I'll find.