[pvrusb2] remote control

Roger J. Allen rja at firkraag.rogera.net
Sun Sep 11 17:49:02 CDT 2005

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005, Andreas Korinek wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> does anyone know how to set up the remote control support for the device?

I have it working with Fedora Core 4, connected to a Comcast cable
converter thru the composite video source.  There is a serial IR Blaster
on ttyS1 that changes the channels on the cable box.

> I installed lirc and when I modprobe lirc_i2c I get the following in dmesg:
>
> lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, at major 61
> lirc_i2c: chip found @ 0x18 (Hauppauge IR)
> pvrusb2 i2c_attach [client=Hauppauge IR @ 0x18 id=0xf3]
> lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin: sample_rate: 10

I get the exact same messages (among others).

> Looks good so far, but when I start lircd, there are no signals being
> received, nothing happens.

What messages did you get when you started lircd?

My syslog shows:

Sep 11 16:06:43 firkraag kernel: lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin: sample_rate: 10
Sep 11 16:06:43 firkraag lircd-0.7.2[3138]: lircd(any) ready
Sep 11 16:06:43 firkraag lircd-0.7.2[3138]: accepted new client on /dev/lircd

FC4 doesn't come with the lirc_i2c module, so I needed to install
the atrpms lirc_kmdl modules for the FC4 kernel version that is running.
Otherwise, I would have had to compile lirc_i2c and lirc_serial myself
(like I used to do).

FC4 uses /etc/init.d/lirc with variables from /etc/sysconfig/lirc to
start lircd and lircmd.  I modified it to also start irexec and a
separate lircd1 for the IR Blaster.  The lircd command is something like:

/usr/sbin/lircd -d /dev/lirc -o /dev/lircd -P /var/run/lircd.pid

I think that all of those options are the defaults, but since I
run multiple lircd's, I use the options so they don't step on each
other.  The IR Blasters lircd is like this:

/usr/sbin/lircd1  -d /dev/lirc1 -o /dev/lircd1 -P /var/run/lircd1.pid

/usr/sbin/lircd1 is just a symbolic link to /usr/sbin/lircd.

After you run lircd, does "irw" work?

[root at firkraag ~]# /usr/local/bin/irw
000000000000178b 00 Red pvrusb2
000000000000178b 01 Red pvrusb2
00000000000017ae 00 Green pvrusb2
00000000000017ae 01 Green pvrusb2
00000000000017b8 00 Yellow pvrusb2
00000000000017a9 00 Blue pvrusb2
00000000000017a9 01 Blue pvrusb2
00000000000017bd 00 Power pvrusb2
00000000000017bd 01 Power pvrusb2
00000000000017bb 00 Go pvrusb2
00000000000017bb 01 Go pvrusb2

My remote is the grey and black one with the four colored buttons
on the bottom row.

I had to use a different lircd.conf because my WinTV-PVR-USB2 came
with the remote like the one the Hauppauge PVR-350 uses.

http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/hauppauge/PVR-350.jpg

http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/hauppauge/lircd.conf.hauppauge

The remote from my old WinTV-PVR-PCI (with the TV and RADIO buttons)
also is recognized by the pvrusb2 with the lircd.conf.hauppauge.

I edited the lircd.conf because I didn't like the special characters
in the button names, and "Hauppauge_350" was too long, so I
changed it to "pvrusb2" (which you see in the above irw output).

If you got the output from "irw", then I consider it "working".

Up to now, I only had three buttons setup with irexec and amixer
to mute and change the volume.  Sometime soon, I'll try to
configure mythtv to use the pvrusb2 remote.

Here is some of the modprobe.conf that I am using.
(The "install" commands are not correct. Since I don't really know what
I am doing, I just added the modprobe for lirc_i2c and
lirc_serial into the /etc/init.d/lirc.  I had wanted the lirc_i2c to be
installed after the pvrusb2, and the setserial to be run before the
lirc_serial.  The important lines are the aliases and options.)

# LIRC module options

alias char-major-61-0  lirc_i2c
options lirc_i2c minor=0
install lirc_i2c /sbin/modprobe pvrusb2; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install lirc_i2c

alias char-major-61-1  lirc_serial
#COM1 /dev/ttyS0
#options lirc_serial irq=4 io=0x3e8
#COM2 /dev/ttyS1
options lirc_serial irq=3 io=0x2f8
install lirc_serial { /bin/setserial /dev/ttyS1 uart none >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe  --ignore-install lirc_serial

After my lircd's start, I get these devices:

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     5 Sep 11 17:20 /dev/lirc -> lirc0
crw-rw----  1 root root 61, 0 Sep 11 17:20 /dev/lirc0
crw-rw----  1 root root 61, 1 Sep 11 17:20 /dev/lirc1
srw-rw-rw-  1 root root     0 Sep 11 17:20 /dev/lircd
srw-rw-rw-  1 root root     0 Sep 11 17:20 /dev/lircd1

--
Roger J. Allen                                     Voice:  (312)-587-0690
Internet: rja at rogera.net                             FAX:  (312)-587-0691