[pvrusb2] Channel-change script

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Wed Sep 14 11:52:47 CDT 2005

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Per Christian Henden wrote:

> On Sunday 11 September 2005 01:42, Per Christian Henden wrote:
> > On Sunday 11 September 2005 01:14, Mike Isely wrote:
> > > With your permission I will add this to the pvrusb2 driver snapshot.
> >
> > Sure, go ahead.

Sorry, this didn't get into the 20050911 snapshot in time.  But I'll have
it in the next one.

> > I don't notice any difference in speed or anything when changing
> > channels by setting the frequency in ctl_freq_table_value
> > and by programming in the table and using ctl_channel.
> > Is there a difference in what code gets executed by the driver?
>
> To answer this myself:
> It seems that there sometimes is a difference, not sure under what conditions,
> but audio from the previous channel plays for a little while when changing
> channels by changing the frequency directly, i.e., when not using the
> ctl_channel control.
> So a script/program for changing channels should use the ctl_channel control.

The frequency table logic operates just by doing a lookup and changing the
frequency ultimately the same way.  There should be no difference except
maybe a few hundred extra CPU cycles spent to do the table lookup and
transformation.