[pvrusb2] heat?

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Mon Apr 10 09:06:54 CDT 2006

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006, Luc Bouchard wrote:

> Michael Roitzsch wrote:
>
>> I have not made any serious measurements, but I have the feeling that
>> when the driver is loaded, the device gets warmer even when unused
>> than without the driver? Is this possible?
>>
>> Michael
>>

> Mine is plugged in 24x7 and is hot to the touch regardless of whether
> the Myth box is running or not.

Actually hot or just warm?  The devices I have are all in a testing
environment so they're not normally on 24x7.  However I have run a device
or two for 24 or more hours (idle), and I would classify the temperature
rise as just "warm".  It is certainly not uncomfortable to touch the
plastic case, not even close.  In my case I have it sitting on a table in
the open air.  There are no other heat sources nearby, but there's no
forced air circulation either.  It's just a normal room in house with
normal room temperature; I haven't seen any signs to suggest I might have
to worry about heat.

As for Michael's question: Yes it is possible that the device might draw
more power (and thus produce more heat) even when idle, after the driver
is loaded.  The driver does a series of steps to initialize the device and
this includes sending what amounts to a "power up" command to it.  I have
to do that in order for the various chips to be initialized by their
corresponding V4L client modules.  However streaming is not enabled until
somebody is trying to read video data.  This generally means that the
cx23416 and the saa7115 (or cx25843 for new hardware) should be idle
unless you're streaming video - and it is those parts where I would expect
most of the heat to be generated.  Note that you can tell by inspection
when streaming is underway because that's when the driver will light up
the LED on the front of the device.