[pvrusb2] xawtv fix

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Wed Apr 12 14:39:55 CDT 2006

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Jeff Sadowski wrote:

> changing the 2 to a 1 made it work for me :-D I was watching tv in my
> car last night :-D now I just need a better antena :-?

Yes, but for people with new hardware, streaming breaks if "1" is used.
But if "2" is used, xawtv breaks on all hardware (last night's xawtv patch
not withstanding).  What I'm thinking is that "0" might work on all
hardware AND still allow (unpatched) xawtv to work.  Andy's message
reports that "0" works on new hardware; what is still not known is whether
or not "0" can work with an unpatched xawtv, and whether or not "0" works
on old hardware at all (but a little voice in my head is telling me that
it will work).

What got me thinking about trying "0" is that the encoder API
documentation from ivtv is simply unaware of there being a second argument
at all.  The way cx23416 communication works at least in pvrusb2 is that
we're really always sending all arguments but for those that are assumedly
"unused", zero is sent.  So if that's the case for ivtv as well, then ivtv
is really passing "0" for that second argument and then this would explain
why the problem hasn't been noticed there.  The only reason that the
pvrusb2 driver has been using "1" and then later on "2" for that second
argument was purely because that's what the Windows driver was doing,
according to info skimmed from the USB traffic snooped out of Windows.

Some day I might actually figure out what that mystery second argument
really means (aside from "break new hardware" or "kill xawtv")...