[pvrusb2] powering the pvrusb2

Andreas Beck becka-ilist-pvrusb2 at bedatec.de
Sat Apr 15 06:59:21 CDT 2006

Jeff Sadowski <jeff_sadowski at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Has anyone ever tried creating a battery pack? for portability?
> Or if someone knows of anything like that?

I haven't tried, but it shouldn't be hard to do. The AC adapter seems to
be a rather simple 6V source. However, it is rated at 1.6 Ampere, which
suggests, the device might be a bit on the hungry side.

As the device gets warm, it is probably really drawing something of
about that amount of current.

Basically you should be able to use a standard 4-cell battery setup.
However due to the possibly high load, you may want to use accumulators.

This is not only to save money for batteries, but also because NiCd and
NiMh accus better cope with high-load situations than batteries.

The batteries might look depleted early, because of voltage drop on the
internal resistance.

If you use NiCd/NIMH accus, you should use a 5 cell setup due to the
reduced voltage of 1.2V/cell.

You should think about the time you wish to cover. With AA-Cells you
won't get much more then 2.3 Ah, which will be good for about 1.5 hours.

With D cells, you can nowadays easily get 6Ah, giving about 4 hours.
AFAIK there are also 10Ah cells.

C cells are available for up to about 4Ah. I suppose a good compromise
between portability and runtime.

5-cell battery holders are a bit rare. I usually use a 6-cell holder and
solder a wire over one of the compartments.

The connector at the end of the AC adaptor looks fairly standard, should
also be no problem.

Have fun,

Andy

--