[pvrusb2] pvrusb2 driver status...

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Apr 16 00:50:40 CDT 2006

Just thought I'd drop a note as to what is going on with the pvrusb2
driver.

First, there are a number of fixes that need to go into the driver.  These
include:

  - Tweak to allow xawtv to function again

  - Solution for wm8775 autodetection problem (for new hardware)

  - Solution to keep msp3400 from messing with the driver (for new hardware)

  - AMD64 compilation fix

  - Possible compilation tweak to help with some kernels

There's probably more that I'm forgetting, but I've got a list written
down.

Oh, and I'm working on rewritten documentation, which hopefully will be
better organized, easier to follow, and will include full information on
how to use this driver with the model 24xxx series (new hardware).  I did
a chunk of work on that last weekend, until the xawtv issue took my
attention.

In addition to that, I have a big rework coming up for the handling of
internal controls within the driver.  This was triggered by the effort to
get the driver into the 2.6.17 kernel, and while that didn't make it, I
had already started tearing into the code for this and I prefer to finish
what I started.  At the moment, there are 3 forks of the driver source and
I need to pull that back together - so first on the plate is to finish
this controls rework.  Most of that work is done as of tonight.  Once I
convince myself that it doesn't horribly break things, then I'll turn my
attention to the above listed fixes and release a new snapshot.

The outward behavior with this controls rework won't be that much
different.  However with it will come new code for handling video
standards properly.  What's been there to-date has been a hack, due partly
to what the driver was doing before I started working on it and also due
to my lack of understanding for how V4L does video standards.  That's all
changed now.  What's coming should allow the driver to work correctly with
_every_ video standard currently defined and supported in V4L2.  The new
code does this algorithmically generating an enumerated list of standards
corresponding to exactly what the hardware reports - and there will also
be a module option to override what the hardware reports.  This should in
theory allow you to specify any video standard, and if it is within the
scope of what the hardware can do, then it should work.  In theory...

The controls rework also introduces a few minor changes in the sysfs
interface that should make it easier to handle things which involve bit
masks.

Hopefully it won't be too much longer before I get another snapshot
available.