[pvrusb2] Anyone here able to test the pvrusb2 driver in Japan?

Hans Verkuil hverkuil at xs4all.nl
Sun Apr 23 03:24:16 CDT 2006

On Sunday 23 April 2006 02:07, Mike Isely wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Apr 2006, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
> > Mike,
> >
> > I don't live in Japan, but I have a fair knowledge of
> > TV standards and I have never heard of NTSC-J.
> >
> > Decided to google for this and wikipedia said\ on
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTSC
> >
> > Unlike PAL, with its many varied underlying broadcast
> > television systems in use throughout the world, NTSC
> > color encoding is invariably used with broadcast
> > system M, giving NTSC-M. Britain once contemplated
> > introducing a 405-line NTSC-A system on top of its old
> > black-and-white television system, but the proposal
> > was eventually scrapped in favor of the incompatible
> > PAL-I. Only Japan's variant "NTSC-J" is very slightly
> > different: in Japan, black level and blanking level of
> > the signal are identical (at 0 IRE), as they are in
> > PAL, while in American NTSC, black level is slightly
> > higher (7.5 IRE) than blanking level. Since the
> > difference is quite small, a slight turn of the
> > brightness knob is all that is required to enjoy the
> > "other" variant of NTSC on any set as it is supposed
> > to be; most watchers might not even notice the
> > difference in the first place.
> >
> > I guess in Japan NTSC-M will do.
> >
> > Best regards, Frans
>
> Well, except there is a specific bit allocated in V4L to represent a
> Japanese variant of NTSC.  I don't disagree with you that the
> difference is perhaps so minor as to be ignorable, however this is
> also telling me that it's probably just fine to have that bit set
> when NTSC-M is available.

NTSC-J uses EIA-J for the audio, whereas NTSC-M uses BTSC for the audio.
This is the main (and quite important) difference between the two
systems. There is also NTSC-K in the kernel which is NTSC-M but using
A2 audio. That is used in South Korea.

Normally all NTSC tuners can handle the NTSC variant, but the audio
chips often need special initializations to handle EIA-J or A2 audio.

	Hans