[pvrusb2] Embarrassing question

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Apr 23 08:02:33 CDT 2006

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006, Barry Jett wrote:

> Sometimes if you don't ask, you'll never know....
>
> Can someone tell me what the "mci" in
>
> pvrusb2-mci-'release data'.tar.bz2 means ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Barry

Nothing wrong with that question.

Those are my initials.  Which of course begs the next question: why?

Because I wanted to keep the snapshot version name unambiguous with what
Aurelien had previously been releasing.  When I started this work in Feb
2005, I wasn't sure if Aurelien was going to appear again and try to
resume maintaining the driver.  So I felt it important that should this
happen that the snapshot names I produced be distinct from what he was
naming them.  The best way I figured for doing that was to stuff my
initials in the name.  Clearly now that's not so important but I also
didn't see any reason to change the convention later on.

And yes, those initials happen to stand for a certain phone company.  But
I was there first!  It's actually caused me some trouble.  A few weeks ago
Ameritech, oops I mean SBC, oops I mean AT&T, notified me that I must
change my login name on their system.  Why?  The notification wasn't clear
on this, but I later found out that it was because they are apparently
offended that my login name "mcisely" has "mci" embedded within it :-( I
used to use just "isely" for login names everywhere, but there are a few
other "isely"'s floating around on the net so I started prefixing that
with my initials, hence "mcisely".  The pobox e-mail address is from that
earlier time.