[pvrusb2] pvrusb2 and suspend.

roger roger at eskimo.com
Thu Aug 3 10:57:51 CDT 2006

Although the driver, as module, can be easily put into
"/etc/hibernate/blacklisted-modules" for automated unloading during
suspend (and automated loading once returning from suspend),  I'm
curious what would happen the driver is streaming on /dev/v4l/video0 and
the machine is placed into suspend.

On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 21:11 +0200, xavier.gnata at free.fr wrote:

> Hi,
>
> pvrusb2 works vey well on my machine.
> suspend to ram works also perfectly (I'm lucky) but it fails is pvrusb2 is
> loaded.
> I get a kernel oops in ehci each time.

Isn't this then a bug with ehci?

If I'm not mistaken, I could suspend here with pvrusb2 loaded.  But I've
never tried suspending with the driver actively streaming
on /dev/v4l/video.

> Looking at the code, I'm seeing we have no .suspend and .resume here so it has
> no chance to work.
> For sure, adding this support into pvrusb2 may notbe enough because pvrusb2
> loads several other modules.

The kernel with suspend2 patches should suspend just fine with the other
needed kernel modules built statically into the kernel
(bttv,msp,saa7113),...), and I believe these drivers will suspend both.
as module as well as statically.

I can see one area where suspend is nice with pvrusb2, to keep lircd
running as well as mythtv on return from suspend.  (As getting lirc
working is usually tricky sometimes.)

Anyways, have you posted this "ehci kernel oops" with usb-ehci?

> Mike : I'm sure you know what to do in .suspend and .resume ;)
>
> Xavier

Roger
http://www.eskimo.com/~roger/index.html
Key fingerprint = 8977 A252 2623 F567 70CD 1261 640F C963 1005 1D61

Thu Aug 3 08:57:33 PDT 2006