[pvrusb2] pvr usb2 detected as snd-usb-audio on debian testing

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Aug 13 20:51:18 CDT 2006

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006, Wim Vinckier wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get my device running on debian testing but it looks
> like hotplug isn't detecting the device correctly.  It's detected as a
> sound device.  Any suggestion how to fix this?

Wim:

The USB ID, which is coded into the device's hardware (an eeprom in our
case), tells hotplug (or more recently udev) what module to load.  The
daemon uses a lookup table to map USB IDs to modules.  The table is built
by depmod and works by extracting table entries from all modules that
depmod finds.  If another module is being loaded when your device is
plugged in, then just about the only way this could be possible is if that
other module had published table entries to depmod mapping the PVR USB2
device USB ID to itself.  AFAIK, _nothing_ in the kernel tries to use our
USB ID.  So, are you sure this is really happening?

Can you send some (dmesg) log snippets that demonstrate this?  (Just
e-mail me directly if the snippet is lengthy).

Are you still having this problem?