[pvrusb2] pvrusb2 and suspend.

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Aug 13 20:57:07 CDT 2006

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006, xavier.gnata at free.fr wrote:

> Quoting roger <roger at eskimo.com>:
>
>> Although the driver, as module, can be easily put into
>> "/etc/hibernate/blacklisted-modules" for automated unloading during
>> suspend (and automated loading once returning from suspend),  I'm
>> curious what would happen the driver is streaming on /dev/v4l/video0 and
>> the machine is placed into suspend.
>
> Sure it can be but if you look at other in kernel v4l, as far as I can see, they
> implement these suspend/resume function.
> It is often not so difficult to stop the streaming and to reset the device at
> resume time.  "/etc/hibernate/blacklisted-modules" is a blacklist :). It exists
> only because drivers which are not suspend/resume compliant exist.
> Mike has done a very nice job to avoid kernel oops when you unplug the device
> during streaming. IMHO, it would be great not to have to add pvrusb2 in the
> module blacklisted list (wich is know quite short)
>
> Trol : Even with ati non free driver, suspend to ram works well ;)

There was a disccusion about this a while back.  I've forgotten the points
that were made, but suffice to say that I actually do not understand
suspend / resume well enough here to figure out what to do.  For example,
what am I supposed to do if there are open file handles at the time the
suspend takes place?  My foggy memory is telling me that there were some
non-trivial issues standing in the way of this.

I will try to look into this again.