[pvrusb2] Battery Powered :-)

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Aug 13 21:04:21 CDT 2006

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006, Jeff Sadowski wrote:

> Wahoo I fould a prebuilt Voltage Regulator that
> matches almost perfectly. Its originally designed for
> model airplanes but fits the output specs almost
> perfectly.
>
> Input voltage 6 to 25
>> = 2Amps
> (Any Regular RC Car Battery pack)
>
> Output Voltage 2 Amps at 6 Volts (almost exactly what
> the  transformer that comes with the tv tuner. Its
> like .1 Volt off but that should be acceptable)
>
> Its called a Potencia 2 Amp BEC
> MR-BEC-35020-6
>
> Its really small too.
>
> I'm using it with a 6 Cell car battery that I got from
> Radio Shack. That I can use a 15 min car charger to
> recharge.
>
> It powers up the device I'll be using it for a while
> and report my results like how long I can get from a
> full charge.
>
> I got the head from Radio shack also I'll try and find
> the exact head I got model wise but it has an orange color.

This device appears to need a lot of power.  I'd be curious to hear what
kind of run-times you get.

Also, is the application here for a car or something completely portable?
If it's for a car, power inverters are pretty cheap these days.  About 3
laptops ago, I used to buy whatever special DC power supply was available
for the laptop I had.  Then I realized it was cheaper to instead just use
a power inverter with the laptop's AC adapter.  I even have a (supposedly
- haven't tried it yet) aircraft power compatible inverter that is very
compact.  However with the recent insanities regarding airline security, I
wonder if I'll ever actually use it...