[pvrusb2] udev error? /dev/video0 and /dev/video missing

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Thu Aug 31 15:26:24 CDT 2006

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006, Daniel Roth wrote:

> I am new to linux, but I have managed to get the pvrusb2 drivers to
> work...sort of.  The problem is that the /dev/ folder had both a video and a
> video0 device listed, but for some reason they have disappeared.  I have
> tried going through the entire installation process again, but to no avail.
> I am running Ubuntu 6.06.

Well the kernel oops is definitely not a good sign.  Probably udev removed
those devices when the driver died due to the oops.  Looks like the
saa7115 caused the explosion.  Clues that will help here include what
kernel you are running and where you got V4L from if you're not using
what's already bundled in the kernel.  Also, did you use the "ivtv"
modules in the pvrusb2 driver - you don't want to use them for pretty much
any recent kernel version these days.  (I suspect the answer to that last
question is "no" since they won't otherwise compile with anything newer
than roughly 2.6.15, but it's worth being sure.)