[pvrusb2] udev error? /dev/video0 and /dev/video missing

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Thu Aug 31 16:36:12 CDT 2006

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006, Daniel Roth wrote:

> Well,
>
> I downloaded the mercurial v4l-dvb tree and installed it.  The oops is gone,
> but now I have some new errors in my dmesg that I don't understand, and
> still no video in the /dev folder.  Mike, again, you are amazing.  Thank you
> so much for your help.

Sigh...

You have 2 new problems now.  Not your fault.  One of these I should have
pointed out the first time and failed.  Sorry about that.  The other is
that you are victim of bad timing :-(

The first problem is that if you build the standalone pvrusb2 driver and
you are using an external V4L snapshot, then the standalone build has to
"see" that V4L snapshot in order to compile correctly.  This is because,
among other things, there are headers in v4l-dvb with common data
structure definitions that are different from their V4L counterparts in
the kernel tree.  There are also some build switches that have to change
as well.  The pvrusb2 web pages have a few things about this, but in short
you need to append "V4LDIR=path_to_your_v4l_dvb_tree" to your make command
line (or set the environment variable V4LDIR similarly before you run
make).  Even after this, you will still get a few compilation warnings
about missing stuff - don't worry about that because that is an artifact
of the build system architecture and is harmless.  A much easier solution
however is just to ignore the standalone pvrusb2 driver - there's a
version already inside of v4l-dvb which is built as part of that tree and
you can just use it instead.  Both versions are reasonably up-to-date.

The second problem is that yesterday a change was committed into the
v4l-dvb that appears to break the saa7115 module.  I discovered this last
night.  AFAIK this has not been fixed yet.  If you are using a 29xxx
device, then it _will_ _not_ _work_ right now with v4l-dvb.  I expect this
problem is going to get fixed very quickly; it might already be fixed.
You can work around this by moving your v4l-dvb snapshot back in time a
bit.  Anything before 30-Aug should be OK.  Try "hg update <id>" where
<id> is a changeset key from before 30-Aug.