[pvrusb2] USB reset?

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue Dec 12 21:37:34 CST 2006

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006, Abe Shan wrote:

> Ever since I got the WinTV PVR USB and installed 2.6.18, I seem to have
> trouble connecting USB devices (checked with a media storage) in general.
> The kernel seems to disconnect the device at roughly 1 sec intervals. Has
> anyone else seen this sort of trouble?

The lack of response I'd interpret to mean "no" :-)

There's basically nothing that the pvrusb2 driver itself can do to cause
this sort of behavior - connection state with the host is controlled by
the Linux kernel's USB core, not the pvrusb2 driver.  Assuming that the
core is stable (a pretty safe assumption), then the suspicion should
probably shift to your USB hardware.

In your shoes I would probably start running down a list of things to
try under the theory that there's something wrong with your USB setup.
For example, do any other devices connected to that same controller
behave the same way?  What about USB 2.0 devices in high speed mode?  If
you put a hub between your PVR USB2 and the computer does that affect
the problem?  If you can do it, try swapping USB controllers.  Try a
different computer (again, if you can).  Are there other USB devices
connected that you can temporarily remove?

Another angle is to look at possible issues with your PVR USB2 device.
Does it work OK under Windows?  Is your power clean?  (Remember the PVR
USB2 device draws from its own power supply and can't benefit from the
heavy filtering of the host PC's power supply.)  If you think the power
might not be clean, try plugging the device into a UPS (obviously not a
real solution but it may yield a clue).