[pvrusb2] IR help linux newbie

Roger J. Allen rja at firkraag.rogera.net
Fri Dec 29 01:37:54 CST 2006

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006, Ryan Schmitz wrote:

> Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 13:55:46 -0500
> From: Ryan Schmitz <rrschmitz at gmail.com>
> To: Communications nexus for pvrusb2 driver <pvrusb2 at isely.net>
> Subject: Re: [pvrusb2] IR help linux newbie
>
> Thanks, I have tried that before with little luck, but I will try it
> again....ok done.  I still can't get the remote to work.
>
> When I follow Jarods instructions and start the lircd, the start says OK.
> Then if I run /usr/bin/irw, it doesn't do anything, and lircd seems to
> crash.
>
> Here is the output from my /var/log/messages:
>
> Dec 28 13:51:36 schmitzerLNX lircd-0.8.1-CVS[8392]: accepted new client on
> /dev/lircd
> Dec 28 13:51:36 schmitzerLNX lircd-0.8.1-CVS[8392]: could not get file
> information for /dev/lirc/0

The lirc device file doesn't exist.  I think that file should be created by
udev.  The atrpms mythtv-suite installs a lirc-devices rpm which addes a
lirc.rules to udev.  Those lirc rpms were compiled to use /dev/lirc0 thru
/dev/lirc9 while your binaries are looking for a /dev/lirc/0.  Maybe that
is a configure option for compiling lircd.

I have these devices:

[root at firkraag ~]# ls -l /dev/lir*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     5 Dec 26 12:30 /dev/lirc -> lirc0
crw------- 1 root root 61, 0 Dec 26 12:30 /dev/lirc0
srw-rw-rw- 1 root root     0 Dec 26 12:30 /dev/lircd
prw-r--r-- 1 root root     0 Dec 28 00:44 /dev/lircm

You might need to use:

ls -l /dev/lirc/*

I guess that you either need to add a udev rule to create the lirc device
files at boot time or create them with the mknod command.  Something like
this:

mknod /dev/lirc/0 c 61 0

and maybe:

ln -s /dev/lirc/0 /dev/lirc