[pvrusb2] pvrusb2 vs. em8300

Roger J. Allen rja at firkraag.rogera.net
Wed Feb 15 19:50:14 CST 2006

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006, Michael Roitzsch wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> I reported this problem already, but this was a long time ago, so let me
> refresh the caches: I have a pvrusb2 which somehow collides with an MPEG
> decoder card I have. The card is a DXR3 (aka Hollywood+) with the em8300

I have a Creative Dxr3 which I have not tried to use at the same time as
the pvrusb2 until now.

My Dxr3 seems to be working and my pvrusb2 still can record.  I have not
done a lot of testing, but both tv-out and dxr3view overlay seem to work
from the Dxr3.

> kernel module. The card is I2C based just like the pvrusb2. What happens
> is that the pvrusb2 does not emit any audio when the em8300 driver is
> loaded. If

Does the pvrusb2 display video?

If it is just an audio problem, are you trying to use the analog line-out
or the AC3 audio from the Dxr3?

> I prevent the em8300 module from loading and power-cycle the pvrusb2,
> everything works fine (latest driver snapshot). But when both devices get

What program are you using to tell if the pvrusb2 is working fine?

> their drivers, the pvrusb2 is silent.
>
> I have not investigated the issue until today, since I had a different
> problem with my Ubuntu not liking the em8300 driver for other reasons. I
> wanted to fix that first to make sure the pvrusb2 problem is not related
> to that. Today I got things sorted out and headed back to the pvrusb2. Of
> course

Did you get the em8300 to work without a pvrusb2 attached?

tv-out and/or overlay?

analog and/or ac3?

> it still does not cooperate with that other driver. I grabbed two logs:
> one with the em8300 driver in place (that's the broken one) and one
> without the em8300 driver (that's the working one). From what I can see,
> the firmware1 is not loaded in the broken case. Do you have any idea what
> might be going on here and what further data I could provide?

I try to remember to power off the pvrusb2 long enough for it to
discharge it's capacitors whenever I reboot the PC.

My Dxr3 is an NTSC model that I bought on 06/15/2000.  It is using
analog audio.  This one has the adv7175 chip instead of the bt865.

This is running under Fedora Core 4.
Kernel 2.6.15-1.1831_FC4
pvrusb2-mci-20060209
em8300-0.15.2.tar.gz
mythtv-0.18.1
xine-0.99.4

I'll attach my dmesg output.  It shows the pvrusb2 startup, a few
lines of:

i2c_adapter i2c-0: Transaction error!

and then the em8300 and adv717x modules start and load their firmware.
The pvrusb2 displays the messages about loading it's firmware.
MythTV starts up the pvrusb2 and records the local news.
I used xine to play the recording of the local news to the Dxr3 tv-out.
Both audio and video seem to be working fine.

This is what I have in my /etc/modprobe.conf.  If you use PAL, then
the options HAVE to be changed.

#Dxr3
alias char-major-121 em8300
#load adv717x before em8300 and then run em8300setup to load firmware
#next line is very long
install em8300 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install adv717x && /sbin/modprobe
--ignore-install em8300 && /usr/local/bin/em8300setup >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
#end of long line
options adv717x pixelport_16bit=1 pixelport_other_pal=0
options em8300 dicom_fix=0 dicom_control=0 dicom_other_pal=0
#options em8300 dicom_other_pal=0 dicom_fix=0 dicom_control=0
activate_loopback=1

If this info doesn't help you find the problem, then email the whole
dmesg output so we can see the messages from all of the modules.
Also, list what options you are using for the Dxr3 modules.

--
Roger J. Allen