[pvrusb2] 2.6.16 rc4 git 9 compile error

xavier.gnata@free.fr xavier.gnata at free.fr
Tue Feb 28 05:54:39 CST 2006

Selon Mike Isely <isely at isely.net>:

> On Mon, 27 Feb 2006, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
>

> > --- Mike Isely <isely at isely.net> wrote:
> >

> >> Don't bother trying to compile the ivtv area for the
> >> 2.6.16 kernel.  That
> >> code came from ivtv 0.4.0, which makes it fairly
> >> old.  You don't need it
> >> anyway; all the support modules are in the kernel
> >> now, starting with
> >> 2.6.15.
> >
> > Thanks Mike,
> >
> > Still no success though:
> > without ivtv I get:
> > In file included from

/home/slug/OpenSlugHead/openslug/tmp/work/pvrusb2-mci-20060209-r1/pvrusb2-mci-20060209/driver/pvrusb2-audio.c:31:

/home/slug/OpenSlugHead/openslug/tmp/work/ixp4xx-kernel-2.6.16-rc4-git9-r0.0/linux-2.6.15/include/media/v4l2-common.h:124:
> > error: redefinition of `struct msp_matrix'
>
> You said you were compiling 2.6.16-rc4.  What's "linux-2.6.15" doing in
> the path of that suspect header file?  Is this a pure 2.6.16-rc4 source
> tree?
>
> As for that error, while the structure in question is used by
> pvrusb2-audio.c that module makes no attempt to define it.  Try and grep
> your headers for "struct msp_matrix" and see if it really is defined in
> two places.  Another possibility is that the same header is being
> traversed twice in one compilation pass, but kernel headers in my
> experience usually guard against this and there should not have been any
> recent changes in the driver snapshot that might have affected this.  Do
> the problem only happen with this specific driver snapshot?
>
>    -Mike

I'm going to test with this git 9 version but the answer concernig the wrong
path is pretty simple :
rc patches are designed to be applied on the last stable kernel version.
The patch will never change the name of the directory. So, I you forget to
change it, you are compling a 2.6.16-rcX with a source dir still called 2.6.15
(it should wrok without problems but it is a little bit messy :))

Xavier