[pvrusb2] usb weakiness and streaming errors

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue Jan 3 16:16:51 CST 2006

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006, Ingo Flaschberger wrote:

> Hey
>
> I have a Via eapia board, an Via usb 2.0 controller and a 5m active usb
> repeater cable. (Not very ideal setup, I know).
>
> Sometimes, the server has usb errors:
> kernel: ehci_hcd 0000:00:10.3: devpath 2.1 ep4in 3strikes
> kernel: pvrusb2 /*---TRACE_READ---*/ data is available
> kernel: pvrusb2 /*---TRACE_READ---*/ pvr2_ioread_read id=c8e7fc80
> buffer_error=-71

Well that's a first, in code that has not changed in quite a while.
First guess is that something hiccupped involving USB bulk transfers.
The first error message you printed came from the USB core not the pvrusb2
driver, which suggests strongly that something went wrong at a level lower
than the driver.  But I'll need to go back and look at this code to see
what the nature of the error is.

> and pvrusb2 gets an error in pvrusb2-ioread.c; pvr2_ioread_read() line 273
> and stops the stream, /dev/video0 gets an read error and mythtv freaks ok.
>
> my really heavy hotfix was, to exclude the next lines and ignore the error:
> 	pvr2_ioread_stop(cp);
> 	ret = -EIO;
> 	break;
>
> and it works.. now. perhaps you know a better way to handle that... Need a
> tip and I will do the fix then.

I will investigate.  You might have found a way to recover from such a
problem.  Not having had that problem here (yet) naturally there's no
error recovery...