[pvrusb2] B&W video problem...

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Thu Jan 5 09:23:41 CST 2006

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, xavier.gnata at free.fr wrote:

> Selon Mike Isely <isely at isely.net>:
>

>> After an hour of fighting with Windows, I got WinTV working in Windows
>> again with the new, suspect, PVR USB2 device.
>
> For sure it is now esaier to install this device under Linux than under windows
> (I also had to fight to get it working under windows);)

There's lots of stuff which is easier to install in Linux than Windows
these days.  The windows driver for this device was definitely a nightmare
- you have to run a special Hauppauge program just to clean it out.  But
even something as simple as a USB mouse in Windows just leaves me shaking
in my head.  In Linux: Just plug it in.  In Windows: Plug it in, get
prompted for a vendor driver disk for the (generic!) mouse, root around
one's junk box to find the disk, walk through the install procedure, and
hopefully you won't have to reboot....

>> Sure enough, the B&W video problem is happening there as well.  Exactly
>> the same symptoms.  This has got to be some kind of hardware problem.
>>
>> So, never mind....
>
> Intermittent hardware problem are always a nightmare...

This at least caused me to figure out all the tda9887 junk.  But yes, what
a pain.