[pvrusb2] IR Question?

Roger J. Allen rja at firkraag.rogera.net
Sun Jan 29 00:03:35 CST 2006

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006, Miephos wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, 26. Januar 2006 07:49 schrieb Roger J. Allen:
>> I have not used SuSE, but I have gotten lirc and pvrusb2 to work
>> with Fedora and Debian.  The same instructions for setting up lirc
>> with an Hauppauge PVR-250/350/150/etc remote also work for setting
>> up lirc with the pvrusb2.  Just replace references to "ivtv" with
>> "pvrusb2".

I wanted to give a simple answer but that one wasn't very good.  I'll
try again and see if I can do better.

If you google for "pvrusb2 lirc suse" you won't get many hits, but
if you search for "pvr250 lirc suse", there will be many examples that
you can use.  The difference between the pvr250 and the pvrusb2 is
that the WinTV-PVR-250 uses the "ivtv" driver while the WinTV-PVR-USB2
uses the "pvrusb2" driver.  After you get the kernel driver installed,
then configuration of lirc is the same for the prv250 and the
pvrusb2.  The only difference might be getting the lircd.conf file to
match the buttons on the remote.

> How can I replace the references to ivtv?? And what must I do that the changes
> keep effect after a reboot??

Here is a different example.  It is for SuSE 9.1, so it may be old:

http://www.digitalinsomniac.net/di/Main?action=viewPage&sectionName=htpc&pageName=building100504

This one describes removing the lirc package and compiling and installing
both ivtv and lirc.  What you would do is instead of compiling ivtv,
you would compile pvrusb2.  Then, when the example uses commands like
"modprobe ivtv", you would use "modprobe prvusb2".  That is what I tried
to mean by 'replace references to "ivtv" with "pvrusb2"'.

Getting the lirc changes to keep effect after a reboot depends on the
Linux distribution that you have installed.  I don't know SuSE, so I
would only be guessing (especially since you haven't mentioned which
version of SuSE you have installed).  That is something that the SuSE
lirc rpm would have setup for you.  This is one of the reasons why I
mentioned that you may want to remove the compiled version of lirc
and try to use the SuSE lirc rpm package.

If you don't care which distribution of Linux you use, then a different
solution would be to download KnoppMyth R5A30.2 and install that.  It
already has the pvrusb2 and lirc drivers for the WinTV-PVR-USB2 and
lets you choose the remote control thru a menu (for me, "Hauppauge" and
"Silver remote" worked).  When it runs mythtv-setup, you need to select the
capture card type option of "MPEG-2 Encoder card (PVR-250, PVR-350)" and
use /dev/video0.  It took less than an hour to perform an automatic
install to an old 80GB disk I had laying around, and the remote control
was working correctly with MythTV.  If want to use a spare partition, you
can do a manual install.

http://www.mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html

--
Roger J. Allen