[pvrusb2] changing capture resolution bug

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Thu Jul 13 08:00:01 CDT 2006

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006, Rick Immel wrote:

> Mike:
>
> I experienced the same problem with MythTV and the 20060702 pvrusb2
> build described by Renan.  The MythTV vertical and horizontal capture
> resolution default to 480x480 with the latest driver.   I fixed the
> problem with the less drastic workaround you have described.  One
> interesting phenomena.  Before the fix if you boot the box and use Xine
> to view the video stream it looks OK.  However, after MythTV has run
> once, the stream displayed by Xine shows the same vertical purple bars
> and distortion as MythTV until the next reboot.

This is because the default horizontal resolution in the pvrusb2 driver is
720 not 480.  MythTV is setting it to 480 in your case.  Thus Xine works
fine, right up until MythTV touches it.

You can use sysfs to see the current resolution at any time.  Dump out
/sys/class/pvrusb2/sn-*/ctl_resolution_hor/cur_val just after the driver
initializes (but before MythTV touches it) and you'll see 720.

I did more digging on this tonight.  I've got more clues but no idea yet
as to the root cause :-(

Thanks for confirming the workaround.