[pvrusb2] My First Post

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue Jul 25 13:22:06 CDT 2006

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006, Santiago Almenara wrote:

> Hello!
>
> This is my first post to this list.
>
> I am about to buy a new tuner (I've already have a bttv one). I was thinking in a usb one that I can share between my laptop and my desktop PC.
>
> I'd like to buy the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2.
>
> My problem is that I'd like to know if it is compatible with MythTV.
>
> In MythTV page, it says that this usb tuner is not supported. (not supported doesn't mean that it doesn't work)
>
> Thanks,
> Santiago

Santiago:

Unfortunately I can't control what the MythTV developers say is
"supported" or "not supported".  That's their choice.  A while back (I
think a year ago) a MythTV developer had contacted me about the health of
this driver when used by MythTV.  He told me that Isaac Richards (the
primary MythTV author AFAIK) was given a PVR USB2 device to try.  I
followed up with e-mail to Isaac about this but he never replied.  So
there's little I've been able to do on the MythTV side.  I have no idea if
they've done anything at all to even convince themselves that the device
works.

With that said however, I've been working on the next best approach - to
make the device "look" like another device which is supported by MythTV.
And that's how it works now.  So MythTV can tell you that it isn't
supported, but I can tell you that if you tell MythTV it's talking to a
PVR-250 (which is supported by MythTV) then you can make the PVR USB2
device and its driver work with MythTV.

There are a few caveats and gotchas you may have to watch out for.  I've
described these in the pvrusb2 driver web pages.  If you go to here:

    http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2/usage.html#V4L

and scroll down to the part about MythTV, you can find out how to make it
work.

I have been told that if you try out KnoppMyth by the way, the pvrusb2
driver is already included there (but it may be a somewhat older version
of the driver).