[pvrusb2] My First Post

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Wed Jul 26 11:15:10 CDT 2006

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006, Santiago Almenara wrote:

> Well, as I said I have two computers (a desktop one and a laptop)
>
> In the laptop, I would use: tvtime (the tuner connected to it) or as frontend for MythTV (the tuner connected either to the desktop or to the laptop)
>
> In the desktop pc, I would use it as second tuner (bttv is the another one).
>
> I'll buy this tuner tuner! I hope not to have many caveats!
>
> Thanks Mike for your driver!
>
> Santiago

Warning!

tvtime doesn't do mpeg2 decoding.  It expects to talk to a dumb frame
buffer V4L driver.  The pvrusb2 driver does not deal in terms of frame
buffers since it is natively an mpeg2 streaming sort of device.  So it
won't work with tvtime.

A long time ago I heard two interesting additional tidbits about tvtime:

The issue of implementing mpeg2 decode for tvtime was raised and the
response that I heard was that this would be a Very Difficult feature to
add, since then tvtime would have to generate its own timing, directly
decode audio, handle video / audio sync, etc.  Thus tvtime will likely
never support this.

Then I heard a while later that supposedly an effort was getting underway
to add mpeg2 support to tvtime.

Interpret that as you see fit :-)  But I would not rely on this driver (or
any driver which directly emits mpeg2 streams) working with tvtime.