[pvrusb2] New driver snapshot: pvrusb2-mci-20060726

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Thu Jul 27 00:49:12 CDT 2006

This driver snapshot includes a number of minor internal changes,
including better handling of a few error legs in sysfs (these are cases
that if you actually manage to hit them, means that the kernel is probably
about to crash anyway)...

There's also a new pvrui.sh with some minor changes to handle control
values with embedded spaces.  Thanks go to Jacob Kjærgaard for this tweak.

The most visible change (which triggered this snapshot) is implementation
of a workaround that should hopefully reduce the pain a bit with the
"24xxx devices can only handle 720 for a horizontal resolution" problem.
What the workaround does is to clamp the range limits for the horizontal
resolution control to exactly 720 if you are using a 24xxx device.  This
limit is noted by the implementation VIDIOC_[S|TRY]_FMT within the driver,
which then should be visible to the application.  I have no idea if MythTV
will actually notice this, however it doesn't matter anyway - the outward
behavior will now once again be that the horizontal capture resolution in
MythTV (only when using a 24xxx device) is fixed to 720, regardless of
what MythTV actually tries to set.

Said another way, if you are using a 24xxx device, what this workaround
does is hopefully eliminate the need to mess with the capture resolution
in MythTV.

The actual workaround is very small; I intend to remove it once (if) this
bug is finally understood and fixed.

   -Mike

p.s.

I will likely be out of touch for 2 weeks starting this weekend.  If I
can't get to e-mail before that point, then I'll catch up again when I
return.