[pvrusb2] bugreport: Change ctl_audio_mode not works

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue Jun 6 23:14:47 CDT 2006

Roman:

I've looked into this situation a bit further.  Unfortunately I can't
suggest an obvious fix right now.  Part of the problem is that being in
NTSC territory my setup is different here.  But based on other stuff
you've sent me, I can tell you this much:

1. Running with a 2.6.16 kernel you're using a version of msp3400 which
predates a lot of changes that affect the audio mode settings.  The
debuginfo output you previously sent me confirms this.  And I believe the
msp3400 module in 2.6.16 had some other changes in preparation to the much
bigger changes that followed after that kernel.

2. The pvrusb2 driver currently just passes through the audio mode setting
from the application.  It doesn't do anything to help or hinder how those
modes are interpreted by msp3400.  (Earlier snapshots actually did minor
and supposedly innocuous translations but the pvrusb2 driver right now
definitely just passes whatever the user asks for right into msp3400.)

3. The 2.6.17 kernel and the msp3400 driver in the V4L hg repository are
both considerably different from the version in 2.6.16.  One of the
changed areas has to do with how audio modes are configured.  So likely
anything we attempt to work around now isn't going to make sense going
forward anyway.

It might be best just to revisit this when 2.6.17 comes out.  You could
try a 2.6.17-rcX version now and see what happens.  (I haven't tried this
yet, but the next snapshot of the pvrusb2 should be OK there.)

   -Mike