[pvrusb2] pvrusb2-mci-20060318 : No decoder present

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Jun 18 15:14:20 CDT 2006

Xavier:

First, there are a number of stability fixes that went into later
snapshots.  You should really be using a later snapshot.  In fact the last
two snapshots (20060517 and 20060607) appear to be pretty stable; I've had
almost zero complaints... :-)

As for the error you are seeing, the problem is that saa7115.ko hasn't
attached to the pvrusb2 driver (or, for model 24xxx hardware, cx25840.ko
hasn't attached...), probably as you guessed, because of a missing CONFIG
option in the kernel.

The kernel config options you will need unfortunately vary according to
the kernel version you are building against.  I documented this on the web
pages.  If you go here:

   http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2/setup.html#Prerequisites

and scroll a little further down to the "Kernel configuration" section,
you'll see a list of which CONFIG_xxxx options you'll need.  A quick
examination there suggests that for 2.6.17 you'll need either
CONFIG_VIDEO_SAA711X or CONFIG_VIDEO_CX25840 (depending on PVR USB2
model), and for 2.6.16 you'll need CONFIG_VIDEO_DECODER.

I added that information a while back when I rewrote the pvrusb2
documentation.  It's included in the latest snapshot, though of course it
isn't in the snapshot you are trying.