[pvrusb2] 2.6.16 rc4 git 9 compile error

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 1 01:53:07 CST 2006

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.
See some answers below.

--- Mike Isely <isely at isely.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
>
> > Xavier, I did not build this kernel myself, but
> got it
> > from the archive for my system. Hence the source
> dir
> > 2.6.15
> >
> > I've dug some more into this and found the root
> cause.
> > (but not the solution)
> >
> > pvrusb includes include/media/v4l2-common.h
> > this one declares struct msp_matrix
> >
> > However my tree contains two files msp3400.h
> > -rw-rw-r--  1 slug slug 773 Jan  3 04:21

./linux-2.6.15/.pc/2.6.16-rc4/drivers/media/video/msp3400.h
> > -rw-rw-r--  1 slug slug 3180 Feb 28 22:21
> > ./linux-2.6.15/drivers/media/video/msp3400.h
> >
> > The first one seems to be the one that is included
> (no
> > idea how/why). However that one also includes
> > msp_matrix.
> >
> > No idea what causes this.
> >
> > Best regards, Frans.
>
> I just checked my 2.6.16-rc1 tree and the only
> definition for that struct
> is in v4l2-common.h.  Now, with that said obviously
> you're using -rc4 here
> instead of -rc1 so perhaps there's been a change.
> Also I know with older
> kernels v4l2-common.h did not exist and in fact the
> struct in question was
> indeed in msp3400.h hidden in the source (as opposed
> to the header) area.
>
> Four possibilities:
>
> 1. You patched up to -rc4 and the old header didn't
> get patched or
> removed.

The file is patched. However it seems the old copy is
around in the .pc dir whereas the new one is also
available (and I get the old one).
Note also that I did not patch myself, I'm just
pulling this from our archive (I'm using an NSLU2 and
am crosscompiling on PC, one of the NSLU2 kernel
wizards did this patch).

> 2. You're somehow patching in an old ivtv snap which
> would have an
> msp3400.h.

Nope.

> 3. Somehow you copied ivtv/msp3400.h from the
> pvrusb2 snapshot into the
> kernel tree (don't do that - it is only for the
> drivers *in* that
> directory in the snapshot).

Nope. Rechecked this, fetched a new kernel and the
dreaded file is there. Also had someone else verify
that there are two different msp3400 files in his dir.

> 4. There's real breakage in -rc4.

Maybe, it still can be in our patch though. I was
hoping to see rc5 in our archives today, but it hasn't
been brought over yet. If someone is on the mailing
list with git9 I would appreciate a small test.

Best regards, Frans.