[pvrusb2] pvrusb2 driver status for new hardware version

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Mon Mar 6 07:42:56 CST 2006

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006, Hans Verkuil wrote:

> On Monday 06 March 2006 05:13, Mike Isely wrote:

>>    5. There is an as-yet unidentified new part on the board
>> responding at I2C address 0x1b.
>
> This is almost certainly the wm8775 chip, the same that is also used on
> PVR150/500 cards. That chip also uses I2C address 0x1b.

Could somebody here with the new device please open it up and confirm the
existence of this part?

>>    o With the appearance of the cx25840, we now have another firmware
>>      image to deal with.  While the cx25840.ko module handles the
>>      the Windows drivers (and this firmware image apparently is
>>      *different* than the one(s) used for ivtv, unfortunately - no
>> idea yet if they're compatible).
>
> Are you sure they are different? Can you mail me the firmware you
> extracted?

Yes, I'm positive.  In fact after extracting it I compared it against the
three other variants of this firmware floating around and it didn't match
any of them.  The first 8 bytes or so are similar in all cases but that's
about it.  And this firmware *does* work.  I'll e-mail it to you.

>>    o We don't know yet what the correct input settings on the cx25840
>>      should be for the composite or s-video inputs on the device.
>
> It's likely to be the same as the PVR150. This PVRUSB2 device seems to
> be basically a PVR150 with an USB interface.

Well possibly.  But since I don't have a PVR150 to compare with I can't be
sure.  Also we're limited here by what the FX2 controller will perform on
behalf of the host.  We had discussed before the possibility of getting
VBI working and I had noted at the time that the FX2 firmware seemed to
support operation of another USB endpoint for additional data, like
perhaps VBI outside of the mpeg2 stream.  The firmware in the new device
seems to have removed the commands for operation of that endpoint :-(