[pvrusb2] cx23416 firmware size

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Mon Mar 20 10:05:44 CST 2006

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006, Hans Verkuil wrote:

> On Monday 20 March 2006 03:40, Mike Isely wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Mar 2007, Wim Bakker wrote:
>>> Mar 19 22:11:31 myhost pvrusb2: size of v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw firmware
>>> must be a multiple of 8192B
>>
>> This is the root cause.  What size is that firmware image?  It should
>> be exactly 256KB.  Did fwextract.pl generate this file?
>
> There are firmware files that are 376836 bytes. These files are the same
> as the normal 256 K files, but padded with (mostly) zeroes. ivtv just
> loads the first 256 K and ignores the remainder.

Every firmware image extracted so far from PVR USB2 driver packages has
been 256KB.  However with the common name now it is possible to encounter
other files.

But I have to ask, if the extra data is useless and mostly zeroes then
what possible reason is there to even have it there?  The only reason I
can see is to further complicate the firmware loading process :-(