[pvrusb2] Suspend not working anymore

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Thu Mar 23 07:43:42 CST 2006

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006, Helmut Toplitzer wrote:

> Hi!
>
> FYI
>
> While the old code and the old kernel were
> working on suspend/resume the new kernel (2.6.16)
> and driver (20060318) didn't work very well together.
> On second suspend the kernel refuses to do so
> with a blocking khubd. Have not tested if new driver or new
> kernel causes this. Unloading pvrusb2 before suspend
> solves this problem.

I thought suspend never worked anyway.

> BTW: Did you got my mail (14.02.2006 11:42 @pobox.com).
> I've read that the "new" pvrusb2 boxes have only
> a 1-stage init (no ID-change) which will also influence suspending
> code?

There never was an ID change.  The device has _always_ reported the same
ID regardless.

With the old devices it is possible to detect the need for an FX firmware
download by noticing a difference with the USB configurations reported by
the device.  With the new devices there is no longer any difference.  So
now the driver tests the device by probing it with a command that only
works if the firmware has already been downloaded.  If the probe fails,
the driver sends the firmware and resets the device.

(With all that said, the new devices still aren't working correctly.  I'm
trying to solve some kind of wierd initialization race going on with the
cx25840 in the new hardware.)