[pvrusb2] New driver snapshot: pvrusb2-mci-20060329

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Wed Mar 29 23:27:24 CST 2006

I've updated the pvrusb2 driver to fix the recently discovered
instability.  At least I *think* it's fixed.  The root cause was that the
driver initialization sequence was doing something to disrupt endpoint
communication (i.e. reseting it) without regard for the fact that other
threads might be using that same pathway to I2C operations.  Stomping on
the endpoint at that instance can cause a command to fail, which is how we
were getting that I2C timeout that precipitated the explosition in
msp3400.  I did one experiment that positively indicated this interference
was taking place and since fixing it, nobody who has tried this has seen
the problem reappear.  This was a single line fix.

You can find the driver & associated info in the usual place:

   http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2.html

Note: Though I haven't tested for this yet, I seriously doubt this fix
will do anything to help other still lingering problems with the new
hardware.  The symptoms don't match up.  So no, there's still stability
work to do involving the new hardware, and hopefully once again the old
hardware should resume being stable again.