[pvrusb2] compiling problem with pvrusb2 (Mike Isely)

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun May 14 13:22:03 CDT 2006

On Sun, 14 May 2006, Cord Santelmann wrote:

> Thanks for your help, Mike, now I got to compile the driver.
>
> But unfortunately I still got a problem when I try to load it:
>
> After doing modprobe pvrusb2 dmesg complains:
>
> pvrusb2: version magic '2.6.9 preempt 586 gcc-3.3' should
> be '2.6.16.14-kanotix-up-1 preempt 586 gcc-4.0'
>
> It seems that I need to compile the driver with gcc version 4.0. How can I
> manage this?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!

You also need to compile against the correct matching source tree.  The
driver doesn't care what compiler you use, but the kernel build system
cares that you match kernel versions and match compilers against what was
used to build the kernel that you are running.

Are you *sure* you compiled against the right set of kernel headers?
The build system inserts that "2.6.9" into the version magic string, and
the only way it can really get that is from the kernel source tree you
compiled against.