[pvrusb2] pvrusb2 on 2.4.22 ??

Michael Krufky mkrufky at linuxtv.org
Thu May 18 09:45:08 CDT 2006

Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Haven't tried anything yet, but I'd like to hear
> opinions on the feasibility/amount of effort needed to
> get pvrusb2 running on a 2.4.22 kernel.
>
> Reason for asking is that the device I want to connect
> the pvrusb2 to is running this version with no newer
> version available and no real interest to embark on
> the quest at my side to try to bring up a newer
> kernel....
>
> Anyone any idea?
>
> Best regards, Frans.
You'll have a hell of a time getting this done.  If I recall correctly,
the firmware_class stuff wasn't added until 2.4.27 (or maybe even
later), and even still, this driver was developed against 2.6.x

With a lot of effort, you might be able to get it working against the
latest 2.4.X kernel, but you'll have to re-write a lot of the code in
order to get there.

On top of all that, I don't know what applications are available that
will work with mpeg encoder devices under 2.4.x

You're much better off building a new kernel...  but then again, an
upgrade from 2.4.x to 2.6.x is no piece of cake either.

Sorry,

Mike Krufky