[pvrusb2] Big OT: USB Audio

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Wed Nov 29 12:35:39 CST 2006

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006, Santiago Almenara wrote:

> Hi ppl.
>
> Forgive me for the offtopic (I think this is a big one). But since you all
> here have USB devices, I'd like a recommendation for a USB device (not the
> PVRUSB2)
>
> I'd like to buy a usb audio board:
>
> I don't know which one to try....
>
> I need one with these specs:
> - Windows/Linux compatible
> - 7.1/5.1
> - digital out (coaxial and optical)
> - have a sound process unit (there are some Turtle Beach cards that come without it)
> - and the regular plug for 2.0 analog speakers.
>
> And the most important ... it must be: USB !!
>
> Which should I try???

Santiago:

About the only commonality between your question and this list is the letters
U-S-B.  The pvrusb2 driver doesn't have anything to do with USB audio.  In our
case audio is carried along as part of the mpeg2 stream data from the device,
so the ALSA subsystem in Linux is not in any way involved in this.

What you want to find out is what USB audio devices are supported well enough
by ALSA to be useful for you.  There's no way that pvrusb2 experience is going
to shed any light on that.  In your shoes I'd probably got look at the
compatibility list on the ALSA project web site (google for it), and probably
also try googling for phrases which combine the attributes / names you are
looking for with "linux" and/or "alsa".

Sorry I can't be of much better help here, but this really isn't the right
place to ask.